13 January, 2022

The two expressions!


The two buds in this stem caught my attention as they looked different in size and shape. 

Yesterday, I listened to a family who was desperately comparing their two children, favouring  one over the other . 

I felt low at the end of that conversation and returned to this bunch of flower in my photo library. I glanced thorough all the Lillies in my photo collection. Whether there are two or four buds or flowers, the differences between them in each bunch indicated the differences that are generally present in each of the flowers or buds.  

I remember how our older son was fond of learning the piano when he was young. He thrived on learning the piano. We introduced piano lessons to our younger son who from the start did not find it interesting. He shifted to learn flute and thrived learning it. They both are sufficiently musical now and have learned to play more musical instruments. 

The differences between children would be obvious in different domains. How unwise of parents to make them conform to one format!

During my child development learning journey, I have been fascinated by this diversity children carry in one family. Children make a home a garden of multiple colours and fragrances. Even when they carry with them some not so desirable behaviour, we ought not to think of someone as good enough and the others not so ! 

I feel celebrant when children are not valued on the basis of their class room performance. An adolescent boy of 16 years, who is aphasic from birth came to visit with his family yesterday. He could not continue in mainstream education. His father had lot of good things to talk about his behaviour, accepting responsibilities at home and functioning skilfully by helping and supporting his brothers. I was almost tearful as I heard this father talk about his three children adorably, making no comparison but referring to each person's strengths. 

'Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life';s longing for itself.They come through you but not from you and though they are with you and yet they belong not to you' This reflection on children by  Kahil Gibran, a Nobel Laureate comes to my mind to help us to understand children as an endowment about whom we are to be on journey of discovery.  

A family is a place where we are to be welcoming diversity of expressions! That is what would make a family a joyful place for everyone!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment