05 January, 2022

Stretching or Straining to receive!








I felt engaged with this Sunbird  while watching the way it was receiving its nectar when it happened in our garden. 

Was it stretching versus straining!

'Stretch forth your hand' was what Jesus of Nazareth asked a person who had a withered hand to do, whom Jesus wanted to heal. Stretching to receive is a normal response to any situation. When an infant of nine months stretches his or her hand to receive a toy offered, it is  the only way the infant can have the pleasure of exploring and playing with the toy. 

As against this, when an infant with increased muscle tone has to stretch his or her hand to receive a toy, the infant often strains to stretch forth the hand. It is the resistance in the muscle due to the increased tone that makes the stretching to become straining to open the palm. 

I went through an experience of straining yesterday, when I had to overcome the resistance to accept a situation that I was not ready for! 

I took time this morning to recollect the sequences within me and without at that time. 

The man with a withered hand, whom Jesus of Nazareth invited to come forward and stretch his hand had not anticipated this surprise offer! He might have been embarrassed and even intimidated by the onlooking eyes fixed on him. 

It was this experience that overtook me. Taken by surprise!

I watched the several photos of the Sunbird from which I chose the above collection. The Sunbird stretched its body to receive the nectar as it was used to stretching and receiving. It lively actively and fully!

I knew from my reaction yesterday that I got used to living routinely and not exercising to respond to challenges by stretching myself to receive. 

It is by stretching oneself, one can receive! What does it mean to stretch! It means getting into the situation which others create and becoming comfortable to receive it, knowing that there is something good forthcoming from that situation, however demanding it might appear at the outset.  I was overcome by a feeling of anxiety and restlessness when the situation was presented to me instead of seeing the possibilities opening up which can bring good returns to all involved. 

Looking back, I realise that stretching got reduced habitually by choosing the routines as the way of living! For about three years, normal contacts and social exposures got reduced and I became less and less stretched. That was why, instead of normally stretching to accept the situation, it ended up being a straining experience. I agonise over my reactive behaviour to the situation because the habit of stretching escaped from my current life style. I feel that I have remained frozen in my routine practices. 

The exercise of stretching is physical, emotional, cognitive and affective.  Physical because one has to be used to regular physical exercises to keep the body trim and well to have reasonable energy level and confidence in the capacity to cope bodily. Emotional, because one needs to live in a board canvas of varying experiences to accommodate what is not ordinary or demanding! It brings flexibility and tolerance as a normal habit! Cognitive, because one has to reason out the situation and see it from all perspectives without being subjective and compulsive to have one's own way. The perception of the situation beyond one's own preferred ways can happen when we are open to be reasonable and logical in a surprising situation. Affective, because one has to turn to think and appreciate the perspective of others with a desire to honour and value the thoughts or perspectives of others. To be kind and thoughtful would be what would be mutually beneficial when placed in a surprising situation. I realise that I was found lacking in all these domains when I had to face an unexpected situation yesterday. 

So I came back to watch the Sunbird again and meditate on my habits and practices. One natural consequence of ageing is getting less adaptable and more conformed to being in the comfort zone. It was this which surfaced in my mind as another possible reason for my behaviour yesterday. I feel confessional and regretful for my reactive behaviour, but that would not erase the memory of the events from the memory of others who felt inconvenienced by my reaction. I might forgive myself attributing it to my vulnerability to stress, but it ought be the first step towards revising personal conduct and behaviour in stressful situations. So I been on another journey of unlearning and learning. 

It is awful to be straining when stretching alone is needed!

The Sunbird stretched and found its nectar!

I wish I was temperamentally ready yesterday to stretch myself and enjoy the benefits that would have come to all of us!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment