12 January, 2022

Living responsibly!





I watched this waterbird during its short flight from the marshy field to a tree. It had four different wing movements during this flight of about one minute. It changed the direction and adjusted to the wind conditions to fly to its destination. Tis is a avian habit to move through the wind to fly forward. 

As I watched this interesting and educating flight behaviour of an Egret, it occurred to me that this has something to tell me about my own social behaviour. I have had to negotiate through some difficult experiences for the last three years related to work place. I felt that there were difficult situations which challenged the work ethics that I was used to!

I took time to reflect on the changes that I have had to make. Initially I felt distanced from some people, especially with whom I have had a cordial relationship. Later I felt that the relationships within the department got strained. The preparation to upgrade some facilities in the department brought a more congenial atmosphere. Now there is a collective feeling to collaborate to make the department a hospitable place. 

The symbolism an Egret brings is worth pondering on! It is a bird which lives at 'peace with oneself and the world, being in a state calmness throughout. When a person reaches this level of spirituality and peace with the creator, he becomes the most balanced and accomplished person'! This contemplative view of an Egret touched me. 

An Egret is more than just a waterbird. It introduces to us the habit of living with peace and wellness amidst the changing situations. It is a bird that can stand in water and sleep. It lives its life amidst the adversities in the environment.  

Learning to live responsibly involves making changes to be at peace with oneself and communicate that to all around us. 

An Egret is sensitive to wind direction and its influence on its body. So it adapts to remain  itself!

An Egret is a symbol of peace. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment