12 January, 2022

A new sighting!


I heard an interrupted bird call, subdued and short from the thicket near to where I was standing in the early morning, while waiting for some birds to arrive in the marshy field. 

I watched a movement of a bird in a running pace. Among the thirty or photos I took I got only two which were sharp enough, The fast pace of its movement and poor light conditions affected good photography. It disappeared from my view in about two minutes. 

A white breasted water hen is a small bird and is a new visitor to our area. Probably it is a migrant. Looking at its larger size it might be a male bird!  It is not in the vulnerable groups of birds who need preservation. Yet it is not a common bird in our area.

I was taken by its beautiful facial features. The red crest on its upper beak gives it a special look! The colour complexion of the body with the contrasting colours is another special features. 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment