04 January, 2022

A blue Moth and a Mother!






I do not remember of having noticed a moth of this complexion in the recent years. It seems to belong to the family of Dysphania and perhaps is a Blue Tiger Moth. 

What surprised me about this Moth is its flight path. It moved from one dry place to another although it was hovering around near a flowing stream. It settled for short periods near the edges and creases of a wall, dry grass, or dry places. Its flight path was short and was often at the ground level. Its colourfulness was a contrast to other colours of the vegetation.

As I kept watching its movements, I also remembered the different routines and rituals of butterflies and moth I often notice during my walk in the garden. Some of them surprise the way they move or stay still. Their habits are diverse and unique to one species. 

I have struggled with this question recently! What makes people behave rudely or aggressively  and convey indifference to others around them!

I met a family yesterday who surprised me by their behaviour! They had a lot of difficulties to get a time for consultation and had to wander in the campus before they were directed to the place where I work. The mother had to carry her six year daughter who weighed thirty kilograms as she has paralysed legs. With such a trying experience, she spoke about her difficult experiences soberly and kindly. Th mother works as a part time support staff in a school and on the three days she works she takes her daughter to the school, who has reasonable level of understanding and communication to participate in the class room activities. Her husband is the bread winner  who is a daily wage earner, Of late, he was hired only two or three times a day. She was sent to meet with us from a town in north kerala. They had to travel six hours in a bus. They arrived the previous night and stayed in a hotel to come for the consultation.  The school she worked sponsored her visit and contributed for her medical expenses. Her daughter has an unusual dysmorphic condition because of which she is obese. She has triparesis following anoxic insult to the brain at birth. 

During the sixty minutes of consultation, what was forthcoming was a mother's resilient spirit and utmost concern for the wellness of her daughter. She wanter her daughter to stand and walk if possible. It would be a long journey for her to achieve this. She was to go to the Christian Medical College, Vellore as that institution has a well established rehabilitation department for children. But she got directed to us to explore if we had something to offer. 

At the end of the consultation,  I felt that I was with a family who effused care, regards and patience! I enquired of the mother about her coping in such a difficult situation. Her response was, 'I am given this experience and I accept and live'! 

I come across this attitude occasionally from parents who have a long way to travel to help their child developmentally. I chatted with her about the prospect of a pram for the time being so that the mother does not have to carry her! She could not think of finding money to buy it!

Hers was a habit of goodness in thought and deed.  She developed this habit amidst the adversities of life. 

This message came to me on a day, when I was struggling because of the inconveniences I suffer at my work place on account of not feeling acknowledged or encouraged to respond to opportunities in child development. Every effort to move forward appears burdensome!

The sighting of the blue Tiger Moth in the morning provided a clue to the way of being in a given situation. It existed in its little territory engaged in what was possible. The mother who came with her daughter led me further about the way of becoming sober and kind amidst adversities of life! The mother was beholding a future for her daughter even though it was only a distant hope!

The message of beingbecoming and beholding resound in my heart as I write this. Another worthy mission to pursue in 2022!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment