03 July, 2018

An experience that changed my choice!


When I retired from CMC Vellore in 2008, I had already spent thirty years in the specialty of developmental paediatrics engaged with children who have neuro-developmental needs. I was in the verge of moving out of this specialty to do something else during the post-retirement period. 

During a visit to a hospital I was asked to examine a child with hypertonia and and limited mobility prospects. During the examination, I saw this child struggling with dystonia and muscle spasm that he was unable to access the toy with his hands although his eyes were longingly fixed on that toy, held by his mother.

On my return journey, this sight disturbed me. I pondered over this matter and I decided to return to practice developmental paediatrics. Since then it is now ten years. 

It is one other instance when  a child helped me to make a decision!  

I make the choice, but others can prime us in a particular direction! Make others partners in our choices.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment