29 September, 2013

Gently held

I am at the threshold of the third week since my surgery. What a season of experiencing love, care and support!

I was fully bed bound in the first week, allowed to sit up and walk  assisted in the second week and is moving towards more independence to take care of my essential needs and follow a graded walking schedule during this week.  

I felt surrounded by caring professionals when Anna and children were permitted only to drop in for a few minutes to the intensive care room. Once back in the room from the intensive care, there was more family times of conversations and recollections.That brought coherence to all that happening in the last year, which was a season of upheavals and adjustments.  

I was protected from a preoccupation, 'why did this happen to me', because, I was regularly reminded of the opportunities ahead and the fresh lease of life ahead. There was pain, discomfort and inconveniences. But there was warmth, love, and affection from family and friends. Each of your messages, telephonic enquiries, e-mails contributed to provide the well being we as a family needed.

This is third hospital stay during the last thirty three years, each making a turning point in my life. There is  a sense of clarity and purpose about what lie ahead. There is also a sense of mystery, which sets me on  a journey of waiting and discernment.

This is the thirtieth year, since Anna and I set ourselves apart for a mission with children with neuro-developmental needs. We were to have a thanksgiving service on November 14th, 2013, which was also to be a time to discern the future direction of ASHIRVAD.

As I watched this photograph today, I was touched the way the two hands are held holding. The child lifts her hands and the mother reaches out the receive the hand. The child's hand is secure in the hollow of the mother's hand. The child and the mother hold each other because they belong to each other. All loving relationships have a character of gentleness.

I have been gently held and enabled to hold on...so this season adds much meaning to life.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment