11 August, 2019

The existential question!












I look out for squirrels in any garden I visit. 

While at Bangalore, I was sitting in the sit out. 

I noticed a squirrel peeling and eating the neem seeds from underneath the foliage of the tree. 

A domestic helper left some rice on a platform for birds. 

One squirrel found the food and was relishing it. Another one joined to share in the food.  

A little while later a quarrel broke out between them and both chased each other away without giving a chance to share in the food. 

This continued for several minutes. From the body language and facial gesture it was evident that there was fury in the fight for food

What was not so pleasant about this squirrel fight was that, one of the squirrels stopped eating and kept a watch on guarding the food. 

This is carnal instinct common with humans as well ! What is mine is mine alone! 



When I felt low seeing this mean human instinct existing between two squirrels, something refreshing and uplifting happened. A bird arrived on the fence looking intently on me!



Th arrival of the bird stilled my soul and restored my orientation!

What is the gain in focussing on the aberrations of behaviour!

We are created to live mindful of our neighbours. That is the normal and the only redeeming way of living to upbuild others by self giving!

M.C.Mathew(text an photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment