22 August, 2019

Ever-growing !


There is always some tender colourful leaves in tis plant, whether it is summer or winter or autumn. It is a sign of growth of the plant. 

Th one leaves with their colourful display make it known the growth process in this plant.

Growth would therefore mean something new. 

I took time to reflect on this. What is the symbol of a newness in my life during this week!

Yesterday, while spending time with a family who has several excuses about being not able to find time to set apart for their son, I initially felt awful and disturbed. As I kept listening to the details of their disordered lives at home and at work, I felt a concern and sympathy, which made the listening effortless and  thoughtful. I knew that they sensed my openness to identify with their struggles, that they choked a few times since then.

That was a  moment of grace for them and me. I felt that my inner orientation towards them changed from being critical to being overtly concerned, which made them more at ease and introspective. There was  sign of hope before them about finding a new order to their lives. 

What was a new awakening with me and for them! 

For me it was an experience of a participatory listening and a nonverbal feed back of nearness to their struggles.  For them, a feeling of being received just as they are and a trust in themselves to find a new direction.

Life is  a continuum in growing and changing. 

It was following this I had a conversation with two friends. Both of them had something insightful to share about their life experiences with younger medical students. I began my response to being critical of students for their not so courteous behaviours in the class and outside. At the end of the conversation, I was able to turn the attention to myself and confess in not being patient enough and friendly enough to help students to feel accepted just as they are and not through my prism of expectations. I was grateful that this too was a moment of grace for new consciousness. 

What is new within is a good question to ponder at the end of the day!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment