11 August, 2019

A spotted Dove !

The spotted doves inhabit the open spaces or roof of any buildings. 

These birds have an unusually charming complexion and an elegantly decorated neck, like a chess board with white and black spots. 

Usually they are friendly and are not averse to human presence in their proximity. 

While sighting a dove after a while, on a fence, not very far from where I was standing, I remembered my childhood experience of watching some families in my village having an elevated outhouse for these birds in their courtyard. I remember visiting their homes to watch them and feed them with rice. It was common for them to rest on my hand and pick the rice from the hollow of my hand.

Sixty years later, I recall this encounter with doves as my first exposure to the avians. There is a recent awakened interest in sighting birds as they were often messengers of encouragement to me!  

I have been seriously trying to track birds in our garden and spot the new visitors!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment