18 August, 2019

A Barbet in our garden today!









Some sights tell us a lot about inherited instinct of behaviour.

A barbet who was a regular visitor to the papaya tree for the last five days, came again to feed on the papaya fruit. Only a bit of the fruit was hanging today after  birds and squirrels had sumptuously fed on it for five days now.

This barbet got a large chunk of the fruit between its beak and could not swallow it. The pictures in sequence of its struggle not to let go inspite being not able to swallow reminded me of what is common between avians and humans.  

We consume more than we need to; we possess more than we need to; we accumulate more than we ought to; we create big houses than we need; we drive big cars than we need; we are driven by passion for success even when family life is in distress....etc.

Do we need to live like this!

This Barbet having failed to eat what it had bitten flew away when chased by a squirrel! I wish I was quick enough to take a picture of that too!

Why have so much of everything and yet live vulnerable to circumstances!

It is those who fail to discover contentment with what they have aspire for more and make themselves vulnerable to unforeseen circumstances in life!

I find myself sometimes overcome by my aspirations. 

My craze for camera gadgets make me possess more than what I need for my regular use!

Desiring more is the opposite of being content. 

Now that the Prime Minister of India has spoken on the independence day about the honour of wealth creation, there would be more pursuing this dream passionately! Whether we create wealth fairly or unfairly does not seem to matter!

Where is the initiative for poverty alleviation or respite for farmers or job creation! This one sided approach to wealth creation is a disservice to the ethos of a welfare society! Too much of anything ends up denying others of equal opportunities!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment