20 November, 2020

'Lie down in green pastures'






It was a late afternoon on a Sunday, which is when I  do my weekly walk to look for sights that inspire me. The sky was blue with its princely look with white clouds. The gentle breeze on a humid afternoon provided a cooling effect on the skin. 

The two cows in the field further away drew my attention. One cow, the younger of the. tow was still on its feet and looking for its feed before returning to the stable. Its look suggested that it still needed more feed. 

The older cow was blissfully resting looking sober and content. It chose the shade to rest, still allowing the the late afternoon sun to fall on her. 

What is special in its composure that struck me. It was lying down on the grass, which would entice any cow wanting to feed more. To see a cow rest in the midst of plenty op food is a paradox. It is as though it has chose content with n to detach itself form the desire to have more. The cow seemed content with the grazing for the day. 

It is those who have plenty who are still greedy to have more. It is often a surprise to see anyone who lives in plenty and has enormous prospects to advance in prosperity coming to a voluntary self restraint form acquiring more. 

A  friend who has been a banker and successful in few other initiatives is looking for opportunity to invest more because he lives by the instinct of 'wealth creation'. That is a passion that he is fond of and advocates that as a business formula for others. 

As against this, Mr Bill Gates in a recent interview about his marriage said, 'what is plenty unless family life is plentifully rich, harmonious and endearing'! Yes, his direction in life and value system changed about ten years ago for him when he retired from Microsoft, which he co-founded in order to pursue philanthropy.  

The cow in its composure brought to my consciousness of what David the shepherd sand to himself in Psalm 23:1-2, ' The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures'.

There is enough and 'I shall not want' is a vision to live by. 

Anna and I are preparing ourselves to retire from our long years of professional life. We come to this cross road: Is this God our shepherd! The sheep feels secure and provided for in the company of the shepherd. How are we to stay in that state of composure and contentment! 

It is when there is joy of living the, burdens in life roll away to the margins.  The last verse in Psalm 23 is most reassuring: 'Surely goodness and loving kindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever'!

Both cows look healthy, but the second cow had a restful composure! What do I chose!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment