12 November, 2020

In the morning!


The Butter cups are open for about two hours. The brilliant sight, as the sun rises, is how these buds open and shine in the morning sun.

In no time the honey bees would also be hovering around the flowers for gathering nectar. I see this sight day after day and yet not tired of this. 

The butter cups are silently present in the garden. But for the the buzz of the honey bees, one might even miss sighting them.  

It does not compete for visibility although the hibiscus, rose, and jasmine flowers are also adjacent to it. The colourfulness without an aroma is its distinct feature, that other flowers cannot take away its uniqueness. 

Yesterday I heard a friend tell me about the difficulties to get along with a few people at work place. He described it as a completion for visibility to be noticed and acknowledged. I realise that this desire to be seen, heard and known is a human instinct. How are we to be each other knowing that 'the labourer is worthy o this reward'. 

The electrician who came to fix a switch board yesterday goes from one department to another doing mending work. When I thanked him and appreciated the neat way he did his job, even with an aesthetic touch, he looked at me intently and surprised! He was profusely thankful for noticing him and the way he worked. He is one of those who bears a smile and greeting face. It is his nature to be present through the way he works, which is his source of satisfaction and encouragement. When he gets noticed, it is a special experience. He stood and talked a bit about his work and experience at the hospital. He showed me the picture of this family in his phone. He invited me into his family. 

Each of us has something to give away to others. It so happens that we do not often notice it or receive it.  

Dulcie reminds me of this. Every now and then she would come and give a lick and go away. She would wait looking at me if I had noticed it. She is happier if I stroked her. When Daffny is in the house for short periods during the day it is the same she expects. She liked to be noticed and talked to.  How much of upbuilding we can provide to others if we get used to say word in complement rather than be social with an oft repeated phrase, 'How are you'! I have noticed that this phrase has reduced us to be superficial and choose to stay that way. 

We upbuild others when we notice, acknowledge and affirm others!We become more humane in so doing!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment