22 September, 2019

Small, but harmful to Rose plant!


The three grass hoppers, though look small, consume the leaves and buds of the rose plants. My effort to contain them has not succeeded.


The attack on these leaves come from other large grass hoppers as well.

Now what next! Do they win and I lose or vice versa!

I am still not ready to use insecticides! The neem cake on the soil might make the leaves taste bitter and they might look for other leaves and buds. I clip off the leaves which have eggs of these insects! But they reproduce fast and in plenty!


They have now turned to eat the buds as I collect the flowers and keep them in the vase!

All the three buds and leaves in the above picture are eaten by the insects and the buds would not blossom. 

They adapt well!

They are survivors!

Often it is snot the big things which make us vulnerable. The little things such as someone acknowledging a good deed we rendered.

But for these insects I would not have given so much attention to the rose plants. I have an extra interest in them now. Why should they not receive this attention when they give flowers in plenty!

The difficult experiences have this potential to increase our awareness and make us inclusive in our thinking!  

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment