14 September, 2019

On a granite wall!


There is very little soil in the gaps between the granite stones on a wall. In that small place this hedge plants grows with its beautiful flowers. Some weeds also grow adjacent to it. 

It was our domestic helper who planted it not expecting for the twig to survive. But it has grown and is spreading sideways.

This is a life lesson! Give space for others and they shall grow.

The health care professionals are sometimes inclined otherwise. They contain and control without creating space for others. 

Yesterday a resident mentioned to me that some seniors can be 'rigid and strict' and not transparent enough! The senior professionals ought to be the opposite of this.

They are to nurture and nourish the potential in others. 

I look back over forty years in my clinical service, out of which 25 years have been in medical colleges. I feel immensely grateful for the two medical colleagues with whom I had close association for four years, who have now gone on to become exceptional professionals. Another three professionals of psychology background with whom I have had ten years or more of association are leaders in their professionals specialties.    

As I watch my former colleagues blossom and make meaningful contributions nationally, I feel even more affirmed that when we offer space and attention to younger professionals, they blossom and become mentors to others!

It is necessary for them to feel that they have full trust and affirmation of their senior colleagues.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment