20 May, 2015

Not a burden!


As I watched this lady walk with a head load of clothes from the laundry room to the conference venue, I was intrigued by the balance she maintains with both hands free! She did not support her head load with either of her hands for a distance of about 400 meters she walked, covering it in about 10 minutes. I wish I had an opportunity to hear about her experience  of balancing this weight!

One thing was evident that her body language made me believe that it was not a burden for her to do so! There was ease and rhythm in her walking that she would have had enough training to do so. 

Yesterday three medical  students walked into my room at lunch break to catch up! They are in the midst of their cultural festival of the year! They were concerned about the poor participation of students in the events. The reason-they are burdened with their studies and examinations! 

We chatted for a while about not making the learning experience a burden. Soon after that a fifteen year school going student came with his mother to talk about the same theme- he finds class room learning a burden. I felt that he was discouraged by the disproportionate outcome to his effort!

Students need support, encouragement, counselling and mentoring! Teachers are not just for tutoring; they are also formators! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment