12 February, 2013

Confessions of a teenage boy

After a break of a week from writing, let me begin a series on sharing what I hear in my conversations with people. 

Let me start with confessions of a teenage boy in the first person to keep it as close to what I heard.

I have longed for freedom from the strict control of my parents. The first instance was when I was left alone at home when my parents and sister went away for a week end to visit some relatives. I ate, drank and watched on the net and TV what I wanted. 

I did what I wanted. At the end of the week end, after having done what I wanted, I continued to feel restless. 

That is when I remembered, what my class teacher of the eighth standard used to say, 'It is in giving you would find your joy'. I did not understand the meaning of this till, I had an experience of helping my neighbour, who had to travel to a government school five kilometres by bus to reach school on time. He had to change three buses to reach school at 9 am. He left home at 6.30 am. He walked the initial half a kilometre to the bus stand. 

I had got a bicycle with gears as my Christmas gift and the other cycle was lying idle. At the dinner table my mother  read a story of a boy who loaned his bi cycle to a friend, who could not buy a   bicycle to go to school. 

It is then, I realised that I had more than what I needed. I asked my parents, whether I can loan my old bicycle to the neighbour, who too would not be able to buy  a bi-cycle. My friend Ravi since then needed to leave home only at 7.30 to be at school. He spends that extra time, helping his sister to get ready, who has weakness on one side of her body. It became a big help for her mother, who now has more time to take care of the two years old younger  brother. 

I discovered that, ever since this, I have been less restless. I realise that, it is in giving one discovers the true meaning of relationship. 

As I listened to this story of a child and his personal response to a need, I have been made more aware of the unspoken needs of others. How fulfilling and helpful it would be, if we can reach out to others! If we can respond to the unexpressed needs of others, there is even more joy.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

1 comment:

  1. This is so true ! I am glad that this child was able to listen to his inner self and respond appropriately.

    ReplyDelete