30 July, 2019

The grooming station at sunrise!




They are small birds but adorned with rich colours and dexterous movements.




This bird family chooses to come to the dry twigs on top of the nutmeg tree in our front garden. early morning for their body grooming and stay till sunrise. I have watched this for several weeks now. 

Some rituals are inherent to some birds. 

Most of us have our daily rituals as well. 

One ritual that I have been used for at least thirty years now is making coffee by grinding coffee seeds and brewing coffee. I looked forward to that cup of coffee and sharing it with Anna before our time of prayer together.  

Now that I have been told that I need to stop coffee drinking for the sake of regularising my heart, a ritual comes to an end, excepting that I can still make coffee for Anna.

Rituals have a deeper meaning. It was during the time of preparing coffee I am in the habit of remembering each member of the family and increase the consciousness of their goodness and kindness towards me. The rituals therefore have a meaning beyond the superficial and the external. 

I shall continue to brew coffee an be content with the aroma and sight of the coffee. We usually have a collection of ten or more brands of coffee seeds so that we can remember the place and people from where we gathered the coffee seeds!

Rituals make us deeper in our consciousness. 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment