21 December, 2018

Fruits of life!


I remember writing about the custard apple tree in our courtyard which was partly uprooted in the storm and rain in August. The tree then flowered to produce about fifty fruits, much more than it ever did in the last ten years!

We allowed the tree to remain in its fallen place and the tree seemed to survive for a while. We did receive some fruits which were delicious as ever before. But the tree seems to be showing signs of less life with most of leaves showing a withered look.  We try to revive the tree with watering and protection for its roots.

It was the fallen tree which produced the flowers and fruits.

Almost every day I come across families who too have similar experiences of being 'cast down' by the existential realities and demands of life and living. Most of them seem to stand at a cross road not knowing which way to choose for their children who are developmentally challenged.

It is here, I too feel unsettled sometimes. Almost all parents focus on their children achieving academic skills, which to me is a reasonable pursuit. However, I have a sense that the pursuit is sometimes disproportionate to the abilities and prospects of children.

I come across situations when parents expect children to perform like others, which becomes a burden on them and children. 

Yesterday, there was a refreshing respite when one family mentioned that, 'we stopped thinking about his performance in the class. We are helping him to pursue different activities which he seems to like'!

It is the only way we can turn these children to be fruit bearers. All children have the potential to bring their creative instincts into tangible expressions. It is for us to facilitate this. 

I prepare myself to bring my years of association with children with developmental needs to a close all being by June 2019. I feel grateful for the team of professionals who work in the department where I work. I feel encouraged by their enthusiasm and sense of mission to enable all children to be fruit bearers! 

I feel grateful for the enrichment I have received from being in the company of children and families who face the challenges in life and yet turn them to be opportunities!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment