09 December, 2018

A wake up call!



After 40 years in child care practice, it disturbs me to face this reality of deprived childhood of millions of children!

Dr Susila Nayyar who pushed me to take up trianing in community paediatrics, was the one who felt deeply for children who went to bed hungry each night. 

I obtained a skin fold thickness measuring calliper in 1986 to measure the skin fold thickness of children to get an idea of the state of nutrition of children whom I welcome for consultation. Having measured the skin fold thickness of few thousands of children, when I take the skinfold measuring calliper each time in my hand, I feel disturbed by what I find. About twenty-five percent of infants,  toddlers  and pre-school children bear the marks of undernutrition!

It is not that we do not have food, but they are not available for those who need them most!

This a national disaster! 

Should children suffer! 

Every time I have a conversation with a family whose child appears malnourished, I feel, that professionals can do more to prevent this from happening! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment