07 September, 2024

Staying surprised!


I came across a passage in the Bible in the book of Job chapter 38. verses 28 and 29, which fascinated and awakened me to the mystery in nature, after noticing this jasmine flower soaked in dew in the morning:
'Has the rainfather? Or who has begotten the drops of dew? From whose womb has come the ice? And frost of heaven, who has given it birth?'

The whole chapter is a message which God brought to Job after his experience of grief and loss following events of distress in his life.

God's message was an awakening call to the disheartened Job, who could not be consoled by his friends, bringing justification and reason to his experience. 

The questions above were calling him to consider how even small events around him came into being as a mystery. If so there was mystery to all that Job experienced in loosing wealth, children and he himself falling sick.

I felt that Job was raised to an experience of Epiphany through the message that came to Job in chapter 39, when God raised many questions about the origin all that we see in nature! Job was given a new consciousness that God was at the heart of all his experiences. In Job 40:2, God asked a question, 'Will the fault finder contend with the Almighty! Let him who reproves God answer it'. Job's response as stated in in verse 4 was, 'Behold I am insignificant; what can I reply to Thee? I lay my hand on my mouth. Once I have spoken, and I will not answer; even twice, and I will add no more'.

The mystery of God stays hidden to us. We stay surprised by events taking place, whose purpose often remains hidden to us. It is God who is unfathomable, whose Being in our lives is active, which is the mystery that we come to regard as we go in life! This adds sacredness to our lives. We are mortal but God's presence makes our life sacred! In the words of St Paul, 'we are the temple of the living God'!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment