29 September, 2024

Choosing the heart-friendly way!


I happened to notice this rose bush, just about a foot high from the ground,  in our garden, immediately after I read some lead articles on the World Heart Day in the news paper today.  

This rose bush is a little over one year and this is the third time it is blooming with many buds. It receives good attention of all sorts as it is at the edge of our courtyard.

Life is given to us to bloom, where we are placed! But illnesses interrupt the quality of our presence. 

My thoughts went back to late 2013 when I had a tightness of chest while running to get into the train. On the return journey while walking  briskly with the luggage, I had a similar discomfort. 

I have been on regular cardiac monitoring for ten years prior to this when I was in the mid forties and followed the usual protocols suggested for wellness- physical exercise, Aspirin prophylaxis, Blood pressure monitoring, keeping Lipid profile physiological, regular sleep schedule and weight regulation. I could not do enough to avoid stressful experiences as some experiences consumed me emotionally. 

Following the recurrence of chest discomfort twice in three days, the next step was to seek cardiac consultation. My consolation was that I did not have chest pain, sweating or unusual tiredness. That opened the prospect of getting preventive help and revising life style even more to be heart friendly. The investigations confirmed that I had blocked coronary arteries and needed surgery. 

The procedure done by two cardiologists, whom I knew well  consulted with each other about the possibility of doing an angioplasty. They indicated to me and Anna that a by-pass surgical approach might be more valuable and feasible. 

A senior resident who knew Anna and me came to visit us at night after the angiogram, with a print out of an information package meant for those awaiting cardiac surgery. He sat beside us in the room and read the important aspects of the information. 

The three messages he was keen to communicate was that surgical procedure was safe and the risk was minimum I had no other co-morbidities. Secondly he indicated that the re-vascularisation of the myocardium would give me the benefit of wellness for several years. The third message was that I ought to resist to be overcome by a feeling of being a heart patient. After the surgery, with the block treated, according to him I was no longer a patient. His presence, conversation, kind approach and interest to be a sound counsellor, was a turning point in getting used to the idea of having surgery and convalescing for three months. 

The next forty eight hours of arranging blood of surgery, and looking into many practical details went smoothly. The two surgeons and the anaesthetist visited me a few times. The chief surgeon said: 'You will have a new heart and would feel well enough to do all that you were used to doing'. I felt comforted by their pleasant manners, cordial conversations and confidence in my full recovery. 

From the time I was given a tablet for coronary vasodilation before shifting to the theatre to the third day when I was extubated, the events were as predicted. I remember being made to sit up and take a few steps on the third day. With the respiratory exercises, chest physiotherapy and progressive ambulation, the recovery proceeded as per the plan. I was moved to the room on the fifth day and a repeat cardiac screening was done on the tenth day. I was back in the guest house on the 14th day. The doctors and nurses kept whispering in my ears that I was on the path to recovery. 

For convenience and regular check ups needed every two weeks, Anna and I stayed in the guest house for three months. 

Now eleven years later after the surgery, I try following the exercise plan, monitor my weight, regulate the blood parameters and take medicines to keep going. 

On this World Heart day, I write this to convey three experiences for many, for whom a heart disease is a disturbing experience. 

First, most of us can redeem our heart from worsening, if we do all that is healthy for the heart. That calls for several changes. I hope we would not negotiate to offer concession to ourselves, but stay faithful to  follow the wellness plan. 

Second, if the heart did not suffer an infarction, the recovery with angioplasty or by-pass surgery is so good that one can hope to live well, if we follow the protocol of practices suggested. 

Third, following recovery, we need to receive the years added, given to us as a gift and treasure it to bring a new outlook to the way we live and work. To live content and become a means of support to others would be a vocation worth pursuing. It is in living by giving to others we keep our heart glad and healed. 

I confess I had to face a prolonged period of stress on account of three unexpected events spread over three years about five years ago. That was a wearisome season in life, where trustful relationships broke down and I felt heavy of heart. 

The long conversation with a senior resident on the day of the angiography returned to me at this time, which anchored me well. His suggestion was, 'in as much as you can let go when confrontation can be stressful, you will find peace and wellness'! It was a time to arrive to be ready to let go ! When matters which seemed important till then got released from a tight hold, I felt the freedom to return to the rhythm of living gratefully! 

The last two years since retiring from regular professional work, gave me the freedom to live each day in a leisurely and responsible way. 

 


I offer the flower above to all those who contributed to my recovery during the time I needed attention for restoring my heart to wellness. I remember each of them gratefully and admirably.


The flowers above are for all those, who need treatment and  procedures to restore their heart to wellness. Let life in all its fullness return to you to live well!

Let these Lilies cheer all those, who are entering the mid thirties of life  and beyond, to do all that you can to protect your heart with heart-friendly life style!

On this World Heart Day, I remember all those professionals involved in watching over the heart status of millions of people in different countries. May you bring evidence based practice for heart care to bring wellness to many people!


 Let us live well and give a chance to our heart to keep us going!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment