24 October, 2018

One, Two, Three...!




As I watch these rose buds grow each day in our garden, I am fascinated to watch the way the flower breaks out of the protective covering! The protective covering is needed till the flower is ready to open!

Yesterday, while meeting with a family, I felt disturbed by their desire to hold on to the 'protective covering' to insulate their son from going through the necessary screening process, to help him developmentally! They visited us after a break of three years. They had moved only little, to help the abilities of their.

I too sensed at the end of that consultation, how much I too protect myself from facing the inner events. I was invited by two organisations recently, to speak at their meetings, one on childhood behaviour and the other on theology of healing! I felt inhibited to respond because both these organisations have been places where I was involved closely until recently. I suffered pain and alienation in the way I was perceived and misunderstood! I crumbled inside for a season. I protected myself by not accepting those invitations. 

A friend who invited me, sent me an encouraging note, giving me his permission to stay away till I felt safe and comfortable to return to be involved. That was a gracious response of consideration.

The rose buds need this protection and safety till their fragile petals would be ready to be exposed to sun and rain. 

I was encouraged to sense the two seasons in the life of these buds. One season of remaining hidden and another season of becoming open!

It is a lesson in living our lives. There are times, when we need to grow within in resilience, acceptance and consolation, before we can be in the open to face all that is ahead of us. To remain 'hidden' is also a process of preparing for inner wellness.

For most of us, prayer becomes the inner exercise during times, when we choose to stay protected. The 'alone time with the Alone God' is an inner preparation to 'love those who hurt' and 'forgive those who intend harm'! For such transforming attitude and orientation to grow within, we need to stay protected and nurtured!

The family, whom I referred to earlier, at the end of 90 minutes of consultation seemed to move further in their journey of facing the 'reality' and move forward, to assist their developmentally challenged child! They felt secure, when I left the choice for them, rather than impose a medical opinion!

Just as the rose buds open slowly, over a  period of two weeks, since they appear first, let me suggest to all those who bear pain or suffer hurts, to accept the vulnerability of this season in one's life, avoid too much of discussion except seek support from one or two who uphold us during such times! We would feel ready to 'break forth' with new life when we sense the opportune time!

Stay protected only to get ready to break forth with new life!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment