02 October, 2018

Live to drive!


I have noticed this sticker on a few cars recently!

Th accidentes on the road are on the increase in the state of Kerala according to the latest statistics. 

So the sticker is  a good reminder about being even more careful. 

I have reduced my speed even on high ways since I turned seventy. When I went to renew my driving license last month, the Regional Transport Officer mentioned to me that more care is needed on the road when one crosses seventy. I listened to him with delight for the efforts he was taking to communicate some broad issues about safe driving. He was particularly referring to 'tiredness and driving'. He proposed that it is good to have pauses every 100 kilometres on long distance driving. I could not agree with him more!

Anna and I are used to long distance travels on road. The rhythm of stopping at places for rest and refreshment helps us to stray fresh!

However, the roads are not traffic friendly in many places. 

There are seven acute bends with poor visibility, on the road we take to go to hospital. During that twenty-five minutes travel, almost every day, we come across a fast driven vehicle from the opposite side on those bends.  

I wonder whether the riders of the motor bikes can be more circumspect to overtake appropriately and not from the wrong side. The blind spots which the driver experiences while on the road is another serious matter to take into consideration, which calls for keeping a watch on the speed!

Life is too precious to be put under risk on the road! The Officer who issued me the licence told me in his final greeting, 'Good driving and take care of yourself and OTHERS'!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment