25 October, 2018

Life, Living, Learning-2- A movement !





I watched this dragon fly shuttle between a fresh rose and a dried rose. This happened a few times during the ten minutes I stayed watching this dragonfly!

Dragon flies can settle in one place for minutes at a stretch or move between positions with ultrashort pauses. Its fleeting behaviour drew my attention. 

I remember welcoming two children during this week, who to me have features of 'Status Hyperkineticus'! During an hour, each family was in the consultation room, I do not remember either of the children sitting in one place unless restrained! 

I felt for the children and the parents. If they are 'on the go' all the time, it is disruptive and un-purposeful. It inconveniences others and make them anxious about an accident that can occur. We were able to find some organic and environmental causes for such a behaviour in both children. 

What surprised me, was that both families did not want to modify the behaviour by using medicines. They have some reservations about medicines, because they have come to believe that 'medicines cause more disadvantages than benefits'! To me that is a one-sided view. There are many families who value medicines and use them to benefit their children.

This one sidedness in our thinking is part of all of us. I feel this is true of myself. I have difficulties to accept the class room behaviour of some students, who interrupt the class by sitting in a corner and chatting during the lecture time! Although I ignore it often, of late, I have lost my patience. I pleaded for them to exercise self-control. I even allowed two minutes of conversation time every 15 minutes  of a forty-five minutes lecture. It is a habit with some students express towards some teachers.  They take it as their right to do so and get the acclaim of some others in the class for doing so! When I plead for meeting etiquette, it makes very little sense to them. 

While talking over this matter with some students I realised that, some students habitually do it!

All habits can also change. 

So whether the parents who are reluctant to change their attitude towards use of medicine or students who disregard the freedom of others to pay attention to a lecture, it is evident that one sidedness in attitude and behaviour is common to all of us!

I get reminded of one sidedness in my thoughts and actions often! So it is a journey of discovery of such areas of bias, preferences or likes and dislikes that I currently possess, because to live fully is also to live consciously of others and their needs! 

The dragonfly chooses between the fresh and dried roses! It is a predator to to the tiny pollinating insects when it is on a fresh rose flower!

So we too are free to choose. But in our choice, think of others and feel for them as well! I have watched at dining table, some who pick up the spilled food from around their plate before getting up as well as those who leave the table messy with the spilled food all around their plate! Both are choices we make, but the first choice adds dignity to our behaviour and spares others of inconvenience!

We change because we become aware of better ways for ourselves and fo rte benefit of others.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)   


No comments:

Post a Comment