04 July, 2016

The younger the better!


How early we would want our children to start sports and athletic activities!

The first toy a child is introduced is a smartphone as early as three months in the state where I live. Every time a baby cries, the father or mother woeful show the phone and play the music to still crying child. I see this almost every day as I see parents wait to be called in for consultation. I almost wonder whether next generation of parents would have personal skills to comfort and communicate to a crying child except through the use of gadgets!

I wish a similar enthusiasm to using gadgets very early in life would apply to introducing children to swimming, ball games, athletic activities, gymnastics, etc! 

Anything to do with physical exercises get less attention and it is disturbing to see children already obese by five years of age! In fact all members of the family could be obese! My current estimate is thirty percent of those whom I meet in my clinical setting!

Overtime I come to CMC Vellore I visit the basket ball court... I am delighted to see children at three years dribbling a ball!

Sports, athletics, gymnastics are co-curricualr activities and not just extra curricular activities!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment