26 November, 2017

Going beyond ourselves!



I watched and followed with interest the movement of this bird family till I located their current nesting place. During an hour or so when I spent doing this, the birds were conscious of my presence. As long as I stayed relatively quiet, they did not mind my presence. I was terribly disadvantaged without a zoom lens. 

What stays with me following this proximate view of the Parakeets is that bird watching is a focused activity which calls for attention, sensitivity and mindfulness of the mood and behaviour of the birds. It is an art of tuning oneself towards the behaviour pattern of the birds and learning to be adaptable. 

We live in an increasingly intolerant society. There is a language of anger and hate in the air...

I returned from this hour of bird watching with a consciousness that the gift we can offer to others is to grow in awareness and appreciation of the needs and aspirations of others. Others are our neighbours and therefore part of us! It was an experience of moving from 'my patterns' to adjusting  to the 'behaviour' of birds ! It was worth following them for an hour!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment