26 December, 2015

An art work!

Jesus of Nazareth is portrayed in different facial expressions by artists. This one with crown of thorns on his head is different from the other portraits I have come across.

As I kept watching this portrait, I was reminded of the portrait I saw at the Ecumenical Centre chapel at Whitefield. Jesus was given a laughing face by the artist. I am yet to see a crying face, although we are told in the gospel narration that 'Jesus wept'.

The humanness of Jesus is an important dimension that these expressions convey.

I have wondered whether we dwell enough on the human and humane dimensions of Jesus! While we go through the different experiences of life each day, the closest companion in our journey of life is Jesus himself.

I have felt during this Christmas season that the incarnation of Jesus is not just a historical reality alone , but one that connects us to His presence in the interior of our lives!

Yesterday, while going through a difficult conversation with  person in authority, I realised how comforting it was to be aware of the 'feeling Jesus' when the conversation turned difficult!

It is a good practice to have short periods of silence even in between sentences we speak to return to this consciousness to experience the comfort of what the Bible speaks of ,'Be still and know that I
am God..'

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment