07 September, 2023

The communicating presence!











The avian visitors to our garden are less than what was common, since the rainy spell. 

Yesterday, I was glad to watch the above two bulbuls, taking time in our Bell fruit tree to be present in a communicative language!

They were in different branches initially and then came face to face by being perched in divergent branches. It was following that they were together for the remaining time, till a drizzle made them fly away to shelter themselves. 

The avian language of communication is pleasant to watch. Just to be together and turn to each other for engaging look fascinated me. It seemed to me that it was a language of presence and communication. The sense of nearness was more than physical from what was evident from the body language. 

Somehow the caring and endearing behaviour is what brings mutuality! In a world of business we view others as customers. In our professional services in the hospitals, the approach tends to view visitors as guests, clients, or beneficiaries. In caring professions, the inclination is to view others as consumers.

I realise as I turned back to my fifty years in the practice of medicine, the invitation I received from my teachers and formators, all along my training periods in this country and overseas, was to maintain a learning attitude. Those who come seeking for medical help are people from whom we learn about their disease, life style, home, habits and needs, which make us ready to respond to their needs holistically and compassionately. 

I remember one of my teachers telling us: there are three sources of learning in health care. First is information from teachers, the  second is from books and journals and the third is from those whom we serve by providing health care. He concluded by saying that the 'health care professionals are partners with patients to bring wellness to them'. 

Yesterday I went to the emergency room of the hospital from where I retired for a help. I felt received, heard, and well attended to with thoughtfulness and consideration. What I received was friendly care and affirming words. All those who attended were present with mindfulness and kindness. 

That was a gift I received when I needed some attention and medical care. Anna and I returned grateful for an experience of being included in the decision making and planning for what was good. They became a gift of kind presence when we needed support.

The gift of presence, is what we can offer to each other, whether we are spouses, parents and children, friends, colleagues or strangers!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo) 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment