04 September, 2023

Bloom and fade away!




I was on a walk in a garden recently, captivated by the sights of flowers on both  sides of the pedestrian path. The above pictures were some of them which had engaged my attention.   

I took another path on my return and noticed the ageing flowers in another Spider Lily (photo below).  Along with the new flowers there were a few older ones about to fade away in that bunch! The older flowers looked shrivelled and were about to fall off.

 

That gave me an occasion to turn that sight into an encounter experience. 

It is now two months since I discontinued form my clinical work after forty five years. I leave behind a history of experiences and efforts to pursue child development of developmental y challenged children. 

They now are stories of the past and would soon fade away even from my memory. A former colleague who worked with me at CMC Vellore and another one from MOSC MCH, Kolencherry sent me messages of recollections and experiences of those times. I felt surprised that they remembered to recall and remind me of the insights and gains of those years. 

I felt that such a recollection is rather uncommon. When it happens, one feels encouraged to remember to celebrate the journey path and experiences of those times, well lived in the company of others. 

The gains and losses of life are two realities we are called to live with. While watching our grandchildren, I noticed that they were moving from one experience to another without making any value judgement of those experiences. What they wanted to do might happen or might not happen. In either case they have something more to explore thorough play!

That light heartedness to live in the present without the hangover of what was over or a prolonged ecstasy of something that was truly fulfilling, gave me a perspective of living in the present. 

The freedom from anxiety is what older people need! The experience of the present time is what matters and not so much of our history of gains or disappointments. 

The flowers would grow old and fade away. Its presence brought fragrance, colour and  nectar during its life time. When its function is over, it fades away into oblivion and occasionally left as a photo in a photographer's album or in an artist's collection of water colours! 

To remember life, as given to us and willingly move out of the theatre of life events, into the margin is the lot of all of us. To do both of these, with magnanimity and gladness would be a noble way of living, when it is time for us to leave to move on to the next experience. 

To stay possessive of our experiences or achievements and wanting to relive them publicly and seek acknowledgement are selfish pursuits, which is least necessary, as celebration of what was possible is more worthwhile and substantial than wanting more of the same!

 Flowers bloom and fade away!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment