07 February, 2023

Friendship of forty years!






Theo, whom we first met in 1983 and have met on different occasions since then, came visiting us one more time! His visit brought much cheer to Anna and myself! He is older than us and still carries a zeal for friendship and mindfulness. He happened to be with us on our wedding anniversary and he planted for us a sapling in our garden. His visit to the department where I work, after his earlier visit five years ago, brought encouragement to all of us. He thought that what we are engaged in, is for a worthwhile cause!

Theo spoke during the wedding service of Anandit and Aswathy; came for their daughter's baptism, and have kept in touch with them since then. Theo and Maria came to visit us at Vellore when Maria needed a consultation for her health needs. We were part of a fellowship of friends who have met for retreats, starting with the life revision seminars, which Dr Hans Burke used to lead.

Anna and I have remained at a cross road for a while, wondering whether it is time for me to wind down my clinical work and use the time for compiling and consolidating life experiences we have been through. 

Theo had something to say to us in this context. His suggestion was to make time for something more than what has been usual for me so far. 

With a consultant who had indicated availability earlier, but now joining elsewhere, the work I am involved in is facing a large question, what next! I feel like holding the baton waiting for the next relay runner! I hope I do not get tired while waiting!

There are friends who care when there are more questions than answers. When life's journey takes us through wilderness or deserts, those who tarry with us are those who feel the depth of loneliness and silent pain of waiting!

 
I lost my patience waiting for the Kingfisher to dive to catch a fish from the stream beneath, but it had not moved for half an hour. By then I was ready to move away! This vigilant waiting  for an opportune time to dive into the water is a Kingfisher's second nature! 

When I returned an hour later, the Kingfisher was still there but this time in a branch of a tree. This time it was looking in the opposite direction. That indeed was a message to ponder on! Take time to feel and sense the direction before taking a plunge!


There are times when the darkness of waiting is purposeful and that alone is the option!

So I wait to know the next step!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment