16 May, 2015

A whimper is a call for attention!

With all the chores over, Anna would spend some time almost everyday reading newspapers before her bed time. 

I am amazed at her cheerfulness and conversational fervour even at that time. Her strength comes from her bonding relationships with people. 

Because Anna is away at Ludhiana some medical students came to me to get some help for the research projects they do which Anna supervises normally. During a conversation one  student told me, 'If Anna ma'm was here we would have to ask her just once and she would go all out to help'. It was also a message for me that they have similar expectations from me. 

While Anna is baby sitting now for Amy and Arpit, her desire is that with the first whimper from Ethan, we should sense his need and respond rather than make him cry! The whimper becomes a cry only if the need is not meet. I was surprised to find during my recent visit that she has become familiar with the different whimpers of Ethan. So Anna often discerns his need instantly! Her mother's instinct is alive fully even now!

It is a feeling person who normally can draw near to infants and sense their unspoken need!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment