04 January, 2024

The Nesting activity!


At day break I noticed this Common Cora perched in the tree in our front garden. While I was looking for other birds, it flew away somewhere. 


At sunrise, I noticed it perched on a dry stem and searching for its feed of insects. 






I waited to see for its next flight movement. It arrived with its pair on another tree in our front garden. 


Following this was the interesting activity by one of them to peel fibrous strands from the exposed surface of a stem and gather them to make a nest for themselves. 




What a dight ti was to watch a family is engaged in making a home for welcoming the next generation of birds!

I felt delighted to watch this process and was keen to look out for the site of nesting. It is in one tall nutmeg tree and I shall look out for the nest as these two birds would continue their nest making.

The sights and scenes around us can give us window into the silent and creative events taking place all around us. 

I know of a family who plays melodious tunes in their garden to invite birds to come and make the garden their home. It seems to have worked. At one breeding season they noticed five bird nests in the trees in the garden. This family was bird and garden friendly! They avoid using insecticide sprays or burn waste and confine to trim trees only once a year in the non breeding season of birds.

To me this is, mindful living and responsible stewardship of our environment!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment