14 February, 2022

Beyond the obvious!



It was only when I was able to capture the flight movement of an Asian Green Bee eater, I realised how much colour and elegance were hidden in its wings! The design on its wings spread out into a wide span was a surprise! So much hidden in its wings!

How much of us are known to others! We can live insular lives or live openly for others to know as we are to be known!

Two followers in their curiosity asked Jesus of Nazareth once, 'Where are you staying'! Jesus responded, 'come and you will see'! (John.1: 35-39). The two stayed with Jesus that night. 

We are often hesitant to make ourselves known. The dichotomy between what we present ourselves to others and what we are truly inside is an issue that we overlook. We get away by our words and the impressions we create about ourselves. 

I have a long journey to make to match my words with the way I live. I was waiting to get some medicines form the hospital pharmacy. I was hoping that I would be served out of turn because I am a faculty in the hospital. It was during the ten minutes I had rot wait, I realised how self absorbed I was about myself! I should be promoting to serve others first before I am served! That is true hospitality in a hospital towards strangers! I struggled to stay content till I was served.

It is a little thing one might say. But it is more than that! It is a pointer to how we live relationally! We can live engaging our own interests or move about mindful of the needs of others. 

To watch the colourful spread of the wings of a Bee eater gave me something to ponder upon! When I am exposed what do I leave behind as a witness or an example!

A group of interns stopped to greet me. With all of them wearing face masks, I presumed them to be students. I enquired about their forthcoming examinations. It was then I recognised one of them, who belongs to our foster family. The face masks can be a symbol of our intent to hid ourselves from being known! 

We live knowing others distantly even in our work place. We are weary of nearness and knowing each other beyond the social acquaintances. That gives us the protection from self disclosure. 

I struggle with this in my life. To live openly and confessionally in order to be appreciative of the goodness in others! To be known to each other through the goodness we spread around us!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment