26 February, 2022

An Umbrella becomes the walking aid!




I stopped the car out of curiosity to watch how this senior citizen manages to use his umbrella as his walking aid!

It was an effortful walking with his left leg having some deformity and difficulty to move. I wondered whether it had something to do with his left hip and knee!

There are some regular senior citizens who struggle to walk whom I  come across  every day while on my way to the hospital. 

I wonder how they endure pain and hardship during their mobility! 

I enquired from a person who noticed me watching this senior citizen, something about the biography of this person. He walks every morning half a kilometre to meet his friend of his age who is bedridden! He on his return gathers vegetables for his need for the day. He lives on his own. He prepares one or two food packets and leaves them outside his house for anyone to pick up. The migrant workers who have been struggling to find work come to get the food packet.

I wonder whether he strains to do all this! He has a pension from the government. He gets enough to live on and to share his resources with others!

I was moved to hear this story of one person living with the Good Samaritan spirit even when he had limitations to move comfortably. He seems to have a resilient and overcoming spirit! Is  his desire to visit his friend and prepare a meal for 'someone for whom nothing is prepared' is his motivation to live above the strains of daily living!

He lives with a vocation!

It is contrary to self preservation in old age!

He lives beyond the consciousness of his failing body! He lives with a heart that feels and a spirit that cares!

I arrived late at work! 

However it provided me an insight about the missionary vocation of a senior citizen, who is physically limited!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 



No comments:

Post a Comment