20 June, 2015

A refreshing visit!


I was in for a surprise when I went to visit the Developmental Paediatrics Unit at CMC Vellore today in the morning.  They had arranged a birthday party for me much ahead of my birthday! I was touched by their kindness.

What surprised me even more is the gathering of young professionals from different disciplines to make it perhaps the largest department of its nature in any Medical School in in India. There was palpable purposeful cohesion in their team effort. 

I left this unit in 2009 on superannuation. Since its beginning in 1997, in partnership with ASHIRVAD Christian Concern for Child Care by incorporating its Child Development Centre at Chennai, to begin the Developmental paediatrics unit, this unit has moved on with distinction academically, professionally, and organisationally. I continue to be amazed by the spirit of care and mindfulness they convey to every family who visit them, although the demand for their services has quadrupled in the last six years.

I returned from this pilgrimage with hope surging in my heart about its future and that of the professionals!

What is that which brings the best out of us while performing our responsibilities. It is the trust and appreciation we communicate with an overt interest in their well being and formation! I see lot of that in the department.

When the work related demands increase, there is a need to increase the caring culture towards our colleagues. I sensed such an ambience today.


M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment