25 August, 2013

Lily of the Mountain


During the five days Anna and I spent at Connor in May, this year, we noticed some special flowers, which are uncommon in the valley or the plains.

This Lily has attracted my attention. On the first day, I noticed its pink buds, about to open. When one of them opened the next mid morning, I noticed that the flower had a pinkish hue. The next day, the pinkish faded away from the inside of the petals, while a faint pinkish hue was still present in the outside. By the third day, it was brilliant white. From the bud to full blown flower, there was a transition of colour. 

I was surprised to find this phenomenon in the plant spices. I am familiar with many external changes in  a child from the time a baby is born. It was the first time I noticed it in a flower at close quarters.

We are surrounded by many mysteries. We seem to walk through life hurriedly and miss watching  the   metamorphosis of plants and flowers.  

I remember watching different shades of red in rose flowers in our garden as the flowers age. The best reddish hue is often seen half way through the life of the flower. 

A flower has its biological rhythm. This awakens us to be even more mindful of nature because there are stories that would inspire us, to grow in a sense of wonder and awe. Take time to watch flowers and they would give away a profound message.

M.C.Mathew(text an photo)   

No comments:

Post a Comment