04 October, 2024

Birds seek human contacts.







After filling the feeding bowl at day break, I usually return to the study for my reflection time. As Anna is still away with grandchildren, I fill the morning hours with some reading and reflection. 

I felt interrupted by a cacophony from the feeding station. When I went out to watch, I noticed the birds turning towards the cottage and making the bird calls. There was enough food left in the bowls. 

I stood watching and the birds became still and kept feeding. In order to find if it was associated with my absence, I withdrew. In a few minutes the bird calls started loud enough to disturb me in the study. I returned and stood beside the feeding station and the bird calls became occasional. 

For the first time it occurred to me that some birds who are regular visitors make association with human beings. I remember Bulbuls making loud bird calls earlier, till on one occasion we went out  to be present to them. In fact, the habit of starting the bird feeding, came from the Bulbuls visiting daily and calling out for us.  

The feeding station is an interphase between the birds and us. We meet them and they acknowledge our presence. 

Daphne, during her walk would go near the feeding station and stay there. The birds would continue to feed undisturbed. Dulcie is yet to get familiar with the birds as she has a tendency to chase them for fun. 

The two domestic helpers are the new found friends for the birds. If the bowl is without food, they themselves would fill the bowls. There is an extending influence of the feeding station. The children from the neighbourhood asked me if they could come and watch the birds at the feeding station in the morning! 

I did not anticipate such a friendly orientation developing among others towards birds. One question that the domestic helpers had was, 'What if the crows come and chase away the birds?' That has not happened thus far.

Now, I have enough reasons to suggest that families who have a garden space can get their children interested in starting a feeding station! That is one way of introducing to the experience of the bird world!

M.C.Mathew (Text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment