04 June, 2023

The colours at dawn!







The above photos of a mountain range and valley brought a glimpse, of what happens each morning at dawn! The changing colours and the sights of surprises at sunrise, that people come to watch each day, tell us all about the specialness of a dawn. Even the birds look forward to the dawn after the darkness of the night!

As I look back to recall the last ten years at my work place, I find that each day brought pleasant and effusive experiences. I remember the joyful anticipation with which I looked forward to going to work each day. The families who came from different places brought colours of life along with them. 

While on a conversation with a parent from Dacca, during an on line conversation yesterday, I felt inspired by the resolve of this family to find a vocational opportunity for their son, who has communication and behavioural needs. There was no indication of surrendering to the limitations they face, due to lack facilities in their town,  for offering further help for their son vocationally. 

Later in the afternoon,  a resident, who returned recently after attending an international conference spoke effusively of her experience of meeting with professionals who made her feel at home. They invited her to consider going there for further studies! For a young doctor such an experience of welcome and cordiality can offer a pathfinding journey in life. 

I got delayed by an hour to meet with a family on line yesterday.  I started with an apology for the making them wait! The response was, 'You might have been listening to someone one else who needed more time'! What a message of consolation!

Later in the evening, while driving back home, I felt overwhelmed by the recollection of my time at the work place for the last elven years,  from where I shall retire at the end of this month. It was a journey  engaging  three life questions that persuaded Anna and I to move into the field of child development forty years ago. 

Those life questions were: Is it possible to feel with families when they go through the demands of having to cope with the needs of a developmentally challenged child!; Is it possible to support families to become path finders for their developmentally challenged children! Is it possible to make the home a formative place for children and parents!

In our attempt to respond to these life questions, Anna and I feel that we were able to keep that  as our focus to guide us in this journey of learning and growing!

The photo below of the bush of flowers, summarise my experience of the last ten years at the work place! 

The little I was able to do was my offering to families and children! 

Let their lives blossom and bring cheer and hope! 


I shall now look forward to celebrating the colours of the last ten years at work place, as I prepare to retire and move on to another phase in life!!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment