18 June, 2023

Allowing the space and provision!





The above two trees grew up to establish their own identity and stand out expressing to be themselves by bearing flowers in season. That seems to be their role and function as a tree!

However the tree below while blossoming in full has also a creeper over it bearing white flowers. Between the branches the reeds are also visible. The creeper and the Reeds needed a tree to survive. On their own they survive in. limited way. 


Watching this contrasting phenomenon, I stood at this sight with questions surfacing in my mind. 

Do I live to perpetuate my own identity and make that as my occupation! I can justify and exist reasonably to live my life pursuing my interest, fulfilment and direction! The first two trees lived and behaved in tg way they are expected to be- minding their own interest!

The third tree seems to have a wider mission. It allowed a creeper and reeds to benefits for its existence. A creeper can spread itself and bear its flowers only if it can find a surface to spread itself. Often the creepers grow over a tree, a wall, grass or anything they can find to creep to grow and become their full life. Th reeds need the protection of support branches for the slender stem to grow upward. Otherwise the reeds would end up slanting and finally falling over the earthy surface and get reduced from growing to their full height. The reeds therefore survive with the support of the tree, sharing the soil surface of the tree as well as receiving tg support of the branches to stay erect. 

I felt disturbed by these thoughts that were engaging my mind. 

To take this truth literally means, that I need to be willing to be used if others were to promote themselves at my expense! The human instinct is to belittle others to survive and grow prominent. There is a culture of using others to promote oneself and leave the other person bereft of his or her recognition and space!

I felt paused to reconsider my perspective on this matter. What if others used me for their benefits! What if I was made to go through inconveniences and personal loss if some good came to others by my willingness to endure some difficult experiences! What good others could find by using me was an expression of an altruistic attitude to life!

W live in a crowded space in the social and academic realm. There is congestion and lack of space for many to co-exist. Those who grow eminent sometimes do not allow others to exist in their shadow. The mentoring of others are done as much as the mentor gets all the recognition. The self projection is sometimes embarrassing as one takes credit and subsumes the contributions of others. 

It is in this existential context,  the sight of a tree allowing a creeper and reeds to grow over it captured my attention as a prophetic message of reason for living! One can spread out socially, academically and creatively to give opportunities to others to grow to be themselves. 

The cultural show of different variety entertainments organised by the medical students at the college where I work is staged during this week end. I saw a group of students practicing their dance performance. At the end of an hour of practice, I mentioned that they had a tired look on their faces with sweat trickling down their cheeks. One of them soda: ' We do it to entertain others'! What a response of thoughtfulness toward others!

We live when men and women have slipped to pursue personal success and acclaim! It is only some who make their lives to be a shadow and pathfinder for others!

It is late in life for me, to face this soul searching question! Do I live and work for myself! Or do I live and work that others too can grow and bear fruits!

The example of the third tree in the picture above, stays with me as a calling to live with! 

Look out for others who need your support and care!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment