19 October, 2013

Squirrels play, eat and sleep!



Where ever there are trees and human habitation, we are sure to find squirrels. I suspect that there are different species of  of squirrels in the  CMC Campus at Bagayam.

They are scavengers looking for nuts, grain, droppings of food, etc. I have seen them suck honey from flowers by chasing away honey bees and butterflies.

All the squirrels I watched were engaged in some activity or the other.

There was one exception. I noticed one squirrel comfortably resting stretched on a horizontal branch. It was asleep.The mid morning is a good time to watch the resting habits of birds and squirrels.

So I started enquiring from couple of people about the sleeping habit of squirrels. Nobody was able to give me a definite suggestion. I decided to wait at this spot till the squirrel moved away.
After about ten minutes, a warbler disturbed it and the squirrel moved away.

The environment we live in, is a rich resource to observe unusual events. It was the first time I watched a squirrel sleeping!

Let me suggest that if we discover something on our own, it adds to our pleasure. There are many events in nature, which are not yet described or authenticated !

We spend a lot of our time watching films, fashion shows, sports, etc. They can entertain us. However, we need more than that to grow in our understanding.

When we discover something, it enhances our instinct to explore even more. If we can pay attention to the  instinct of curiosity, it helps us to enhance our skills of observation and exploration! It is from the nature we  can gather a lot first hand information!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo))

No comments:

Post a Comment