21 May, 2023

Shadows and strength !





Anna and I visited a scenic sight of a valley, surrounded by rock formation, looking brilliant in the sunshine, with some parts of the valley under shadows, cast by the clouds above !

The sunshine during the mid-day gave us a breathtaking view of the rock formation all around the valley, which protected the flora and the fauna in the valley. But its full visibility was obliterated by the shadow created by the cloud above!

Th cloud is a gentle protective cover over the valley! The cloud moves and cast shadows on different part of the valley during the day. The cloud provides this shelter of protection without which the vegetation would have had too much of exposure to the sun without an interruption!

There were times, when I moved through seasons of life, when I needed supportive and sympathetic view! I remember friends and well wishers offering that and carrying me in their thoughts with understanding and patience. The shadow of protection with care and attention was what I needed rather than an analytical audit of what I did or did not do or why I should not have done what I did !

Jesus of Nazareth provided this shelter of protection and acceptance to His disciples without any comment on why, although they were experienced fisher men, failed to catch fish even after toiling through the night! (John.2: 1-11). Jesus appeared to them at that time and suggested to them to 'cast the net at the right hand side of the boat and you will find a catch'. They found a large catch of fish that they were not able to haul it ! They found their abilities affirmed and confidence restored. This response of Jesus amazes me in an era, when the 'SWAT' analysis is the norm for any action plan! Affirming a person takes precedence over auditing his or her work, because, as it is the person because of whom any change in the future is possible!

This surprising recovery experience, from a sense of failure,  was from the message above on some occasions in life. The shadows of discouragement, fear, anxiety, and stressful experiences have been my companions at different seasons in my life. This message of Jesus to the disciples was an affirmation of their worth and ability! They felt rescued from the shadow of exhaustion and doubt in their skills. 

The shadows we carry in our lives are transient experiences, out of which, would arise a new beginning towards a larger purpose and greater benefit. What we did not receive even though we toiled intensely, is only a denial to prepare us to receive something far greater than what we sought after! 

In that sense, the shadows of disappointment we carry in our lives, were times when we were being prepared for something more valuable and significant, to bring us to a turning point in life. 

In the Poem, Footprints in the Sand, the unknown author wrote about his dream:

' One night, I had a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand.
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scenes of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
" Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way,
But I noticed that during the saddest and 
most troublesome times in my life, 
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed you,
the most, You would leave me"

He whispered, "My precious child, I Love you
and will never leave you
Never, ever, during trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints 
It was then I carried you" '!

What an amazing dream of being carried by God of love, when we are no more able to endure or overcome a challenging situation!

The strength that we receive during the different seasons of life, when we lived under shadows, come to light only, when we shift our attention away from the shadows we suffered from the past and recall the strength they brought to our lives.    

That is what I sensed, as I looked around the fortress of the valley formed by rock formation! The valley was protected from the nature's fury in all seasons by this rock formation, tall and encompassing!

 

The shadows fade into oblivion when we take in the view of this fortress that surround and accompany us through through life!

This is best expressed in one statement of Joseph of the Old Testament, in his conversation with his brothers, who harmed him by selling him as a slave: 'And as for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result to preserve many people alive' (Genesis 50:20). Joseph made that statement when he was in authority to punish his brothers and hold them ransom!

I find this consciousness of the goodness of God during the seasons of shadows as strength giving!

The shadow itself is a protective cover. Our difficult or trying times, which we look as hindrances or denials would finally turn out to be essential to make us what we are becoming. 

The shadows would renew our strength, when we can turn Godward! 


During one of our walks Anna and I found this waterfall in the forest!

That prompted me even more to look for refreshing experiences of comfort and hope, God brought in to life, while feeling parched and exhausted. Amidst all the trying experiences we might go through, the stream of God's presence would also be a reality!

Shadows are strength giving!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment