22 April, 2019

Silencing a singing child!


Children have a language of joy, hope, love and trust! As I hear this bird sing for us, I feel its language of communication and identity! Children express their identity through their affection, needs, creativity, failed attempts and even mischiefs! 

Parents normally take delight in all of these, while relating to their children. 

During the last two weeks in this part of Kerala, two children died following the abuse of children by their own family! Both of them died due to head injury inflicted on them by the family. 

Why are parents turning to be angry! 

I confess that I come across some parents who do not enjoy having children and react to their children because the children 'interfere' with their personal pursuit! I came across a press report yesterday that about 20 percent families in Kerala behave towards their children harshly and unkindly which threaten the wellness of children. It is too difficult to believe this and I am trying to varify the source. 

What ever it is I too get a sense that parents, teachers, child minders etc. who are meant to be custodians of wellness of children do seem to be becoming weary of children. I come across teachers who cannot stand the mischiefs of children. I know of parents who passively or actively abuse children. I come across policy makers who have less consciousness of the unspoken needs of children. 

A society that turns 'hostile' to children is a decaying society!

I find that there is minimal attention to adult education on parenting! 

What if all organisations organise dialogue sessions on parenting for their staff! Is it possible for churches to have parenting forum for dialogue and self directed learning! Is it possible to foster parents and care for them when they show 'at risk' behaviour towards their children! 

Children are our heritage. More than that they carry the baton we give to them into their future!

Let us ponder, 'do we give them a baton of love, affection, trust and affirmation'!

I grieve over this: since the two deaths of children due to child abuse, I have not come across a civil reaction of significance to take this as an emergency issue! 

If children suffer, and their voice or needs are subdued, it suggests that adults do not care enough!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 


No comments:

Post a Comment