17 February, 2019

Wealth of 'wasteland' !



This nutmeg tree facing our courtyard at the entrance to our cottage has one of its branches dried, following a lightning during the last monsoon.  The workmen who help us in the garden advised us to cut that off lest it affects the other branches. I almost followed the advice and was looking for someone to climb up to the top to prune the  tree. 




One day, when I was sitting on the steps of the entrance I noticed that birds preferred to sit on the dried branches rather on the branches with foliage. 












I observed eight birds arriving and departing in about forty-five minutes. That increased my curiosity. 

Almost every day, there are few birds who visit this spot during their morning flights. Usually they are small birds, such as Sun birds, Sparrows or Drongos. 

That alerted me to look for bird behaviour of these small birds. I have a strong suspicion that it is the same birds who visit come every day. The dried branches are their familiar and sought after place. 

I have often thought about this ever since I entered the seventieth year in my life. I have thought of some experiences as an interruption or unnecessary or redundant. But in hindsight, those difficult or 'dry' experiences or a feeling of being in a 'wasteland' were valuable seasons of insights and times for revision of thinking.

Life brings to us many shades of experiences, all of which are truly rich and resourceful. 

I was to have gone for a funeral today travelling about ninety kilometres. I got up feeling unwell and did not feel comfortable enough to drive all by self as Anna is away in Madhepura.

I slept most of the day and took time to read and recall the events of the last one week. 

For thirty five years, I have listened to the sorrows and pain of families who visit us with the needs of their children. For most of them, there is a loss from which they have not been able to recover.  

Just as it is the dry branches and not the branches with foliage is home to the birds, the apparently harsh experiences of life can be source of enormous revelations which can be a path finder and life giving, if only we can take time to listen inwardly!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment