01 February, 2019

A Bird family!




Every time I read about some good practices for bird sighting, I pick up valuable experiences form those who have been years into this art of sighting and photographing birds. 

One suggestion which appears commonly is the sites which the birds touch during their flights in the morning and evening. Most birders believe that by habit or instinct a bird would visit some sites once or twice in a day.  

So I am familiar with some sites in our property where birds a break in between their flights. Some arrive and depart with a bird song which make it easier to spot them. 

I spotted a white breasted Kingfisher in the property three days back on all the three days around the same time. Yesterday I looked for it again. To me delightful surprise, soon after the arrival of the one, a second one arrived. It is likely that they are a pair as they sang to each other.  One's birdsong was like that of a female short and less musical.


I came away after they flew away thinking of this because, it stirred me within, feeling the joy off watching another bird family.

What has been a unique experience for me in the last four decades is the joyful experience in our family. Ann and I would shortly celebrate another wedding anniversary. Yesterday as we listened to each other while we read our familiar passages to each other, it occurred to me that there is a growing trustful belonging which adds to the richness of this family of experience. 

Family experiences are treasures all of us carry in our lives.  It was our practice while we lived at Chennai and Vellore that we shared our experiences sitting around the table in the evening with children and the guests who came to greet us on our anniversary. 

The recollection of joy of living and celebrating the intimate relationship is a refreshing experience! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)  

No comments:

Post a Comment