28 March, 2017

Lent and its focus!


Every time, I notice a crucifixion scene, I feel drawn by its visual artistic appeal !

But it is more than just that.

During this season, the church sets apart forty days to meditate on the events leading to the crucifixion and the scenes at Gethsemane and Golgotha! Somehow it is viewed as a season of  self denial, where we make changes in our food habits. 

A senior citizen asked me the other day, whether I have extended my time of reflective reading of the Bible during this season of lent! That question awoke me to the central focus of the lenten season!

It is a time to return our thoughts to God and stay in an attitude of openness towards God to experience his love and forgiveness and grow in grace towards our neighbours!

In the words of Jesus of Nazareth whose crucifixion we remember, our prayer ought to be, 'Let thy Kingdom come'. It is not an earthly kingdom, but of human brotherhood!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 


No comments:

Post a Comment