15 April, 2014

Life that triumphs..

Around the time of my mother’s home call on 24th of April 2014, this banana plant had suffered the insult to its stem, in a stormy rain. In the midst of arrangements for my mother’s funeral and the bereaving mood, I had not paid attention to the plant till I returned to it on 9th April, 2014. 

I was surprised to see how through the broken stem, the banana bunch had broken forth. It is the first time I watched such a sight although farmers in the neighbourhood did mention about them seeing such sights. 

The timing of this corresponding to the season of the home call of my mother, did awaken my interest. I had thought that with the stem broken, the banana plant’s life was over. Instead from the ruins of that, the plant gave forth a new life- a bunch of bananas! 

Life gives us hope beyond death. Death is a transient reality. It is pregnant with new life. In fact, a few days before my mother’s home call, while she was in a reminiscent mood, she said to us, ‘I am tired, but I am cheerful’. It was good to be reminded of this hope  with which she prepared herself for her eternal journey. 

Life is a mystery and how it unfolds before us, when we are alive or at the time of  our departure is according to what is appointed for us by the God of love. 

During the last three weeks, the theme of new life has brought some encouraging and affirming insights. One of them is through the story of this banana plant. The storm did damage the plant, but not its destiny or future. None of the events that happen to us, including the most trying ones, can kill the spirit within us, because, God has gifted us with a spirit of triumph, as it was in Jesus of Nazateth, which brought him out out of the tomb, alive on the third day. Many have confessed from hindsight that, it was out of an experience of brokenness, they were able to enter into another level of qualitative living. 

During this Holy week, the Spirit of God is at work in our lives to give us a glimpse of all that ‘God has prepared for those who love Him- what eyes have not seen, ears heard..’

M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment