15 April, 2014

Finding way for recovery!


This painting was given to me thirty years back by a ten year old child, who used to  visit ASHIRVAD Child Development Centre at Chennai, where Anna and I were involved to initiate a service for children with neuro-developmentla needs. 

I have had this painting at a prominent place since then in the consultation room, wherever I worked. Last week, before the Early Learning Centre at the MOSC Medical college was dedicated for children, one of my colleagues suggested that it would be good to have a copy of this painting at the main hall of the centre. In fact she primed one of the medical students to paint it. I happened to hear of this and I wondered whether I was ready to gift it away for a wider viewing! I did it after two days of consideration.

The story behind this painting was the reason why I was attached to this. The boy painted this in gratitude for some medical and personal development help I was able to provide when he came to visit us for a few weeks, confused and needy. He needed respite from pain and direction to stay encouraged. The immediate effect of that engagement was this happy painting of this perception of Jesus of Nazareth and Children. To me, it was a confession of his spiritual longing. 

Every time I looked at this painting, I recollect his smiling face and his words, ‘I am on my way to recovery'. His journey was both physical and spiritual!

Now that it is placed for public viewing, my prayer is that, others would also find 'this way' for their recovery.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)      

No comments:

Post a Comment