20 April, 2014

Refreshing Memories !

When we laid to rest my mother’s mortal remains on 28th of April, 2014 at the cemetery of this church in our village, I was suddenly overcome with many memories connected with the church from my childhood. 

When my parents decided along with a few other families, to form a separate congregation of the Evangelical Church fifty years back, the worship services on Sundays and on other occasions used to be held in our house. I remember my father taking the lead to buy the property in which this church building stands now, and spending considerable time to build a church building and a parsonage. There used to be regular visits to our home from church leaders and well wishers, for whom my mother offered hospitality. Some of them used to stay with us in our small cottage for a few days which at that time was my first occasion to get to know something about the way the mission of the church was unfolding. I had part of Sunday school education in this church. Anna and I got married in this church. Anandit was baptised in this church. My parents offered leadership to this congregation in different ways. After their retirement, the church life had become even more important to them.

My mother was not able to attend the  worship services as she developed physical limitations to stand and walk for about fifteen years back.  Since then, her contact with the local congregation was through the visits of its evangelists, clergy, Bishops and the leadership of the local congregation. She prayed and contributed her tithes faithfully and kept in touch with different members of the congregations through phone calls. 

The local parish was very much central to my parents for their faith journey and spiritual formation. My father’s mortal remains were also buried in the same cemetery nine years back. 

This congregation has moved on commendably in its mission and vocation. The present vicar, Rev. James who visited us a few times around the time of my mother’s home call ministered to us most meaningfully and sensitively, for which we are grateful! 

I am glad that the local church congregation was central to the life of my parents!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment