16 January, 2014

Walking and talking!

I find this habit of walking and talking on the mobile phone as an accepted practice. I was stopped by someone whom I met after a long time, while walking and talking on the mobile phone. He had to wait to greet me for about three minutes till I wound up a conversation. Following that meeting, as I walked on, I saw this sight of a person with two mobile phones. That made me even more curious.

Why is that we have hooked on to phones almost addictively!

We have been pressured to become instant to attend to our needs. Talking to someone on the phone cannot wait even if there is no emergency. This is the creation of the advances in information technology because of which sharing information has become a habit.

Does this instant sharing information practice enhance communication, if we consider building relationships as one important outcome of communication!

On the same day, as I walked past a child on the way to the canteen, speaking on the phone, I heard the child tell me, ‘why don’t you talk to me instead of talking on the phone’?.

That is when, I began thinking about this habit of walking and talking on th phone. Often we would meet on the corridors people whom we do not meet regularly. We lose the opportunity to exchange greetings with them if we walk pass then talking on the phone. In fact, some like to redeem time by phoning while walking!

We need inner space and outer readiness to convert our conversations into communications! Some find periodic ‘starving’ from phone conversations to restore the inner rhythm of attentive listening.

M.C.Mathew(text an photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment